Anchorage Sports Association
High School Softball Head Coach – Service, West (separate positions)
August 12, 2021
- Three years coaching experience required; softball coaching experience preferred.
- Ability to pass background check through USA Softball.
- Ability to meet ASAA coaching standards, including First Aid/CPR certification, Fundamentals of Coaching, and other courses required by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).
- Ability to work within the rules and guidelines required by the Alaska School Activities Association (ASAA), the Anchorage School District, and the Anchorage Sports Association.
- Thorough knowledge of NFHS fastpitch softball rules.
- Flexible schedule.
- Season preparation will start immediately after hire.
- This is a volunteer position with no salary provided.
- Reports to and collaborates with the Anchorage Sports Association Program Director.
In cooperation with the Anchorage Sports Association, organize and oversee the fast-pitch softball program at the designated high school. Help each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem. Create a program that reflects the values of ASA and ASAA.
- Instruct individual participants and team in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Create a team environment that is safe, organized, patient, sportsmanlike, and motivated.
- Ensure assistant and junior varsity coaches meet coaching standards and understand their responsibilities in your coaching program. Utilize staff effectively with exceptional communication and common goals.
- Ensure all student athletes meet practice and grade requirements as required by ASAA, the Anchorage School District, and the Anchorage Sports Association.
- Enforce any disciplinary action required by ASD, ASAA, or ASA.
- Establish a rapport with the school’s Activities Director, staff, and booster club for your sport.
- Communicate effectively with student-athletes, parents, other coaches, Anchorage Sports staff, and the community.
- Report game results to ASA and media in a timely manner.
- High School Softball is an “out-sourced” sport, with no financial assistance provided by the Anchorage School District. The Head Coach is responsible for creating a fundraising plan and executing it across the program to provide the funding necessary to support the program. At this point, most schools have well-developed booster clubs in place.
- Purchase and maintain the necessary equipment, gear, and uniforms for team.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate can be found. We will look to conduct interviews in late-September and/or early-October.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, summary of your coaching philosophy, and two letters of recommendation to the Anchorage Sports Association Executive Director, Ben Kramer, by email to email@example.com.
Anchorage Sports Association is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application process or those needing the announcement in an alternative format may call Ben Kramer at (907)562-1590. Candidate offered the position will be required to complete a background check including a criminal history inquiry. Chosen candidate must abide by the Anchorage School District’s policies including maintaining a smoke and tobacco free environment and a drug free workplace.
The Anchorage Sports Association and the Anchorage School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to scouts and other designated youth groups.